Friday, February 27, 2015

LLAP

WE GROK SPOCK:  Several days ago we heard the news that Leonard Nimoy, best known as the actor who played Spock on the original "Star Trek" series, had entered the hospital. 

It worried me greatly that we heard no updates. I knew Nimoy, 83, had been suffering from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPS) for years, and I figured no news was bad news. :(

Today, we learned that Nimoy's energy has transformed. Because, you know that physics dictate that energy can't disappear. It can only transform. Spock is back to stardust, at least for now. ;)

Geeks that we are, we have enough Spock-related shirts 'round here to clothe us for days. As I snapped this picture I asked the kids to flash a Live Long and Prosper (#LLAP )sign. Annabelle asked, "Should we smile? It seems wrong to smile." I told her to smile broadly as we celebrate Leonard Nimoy's life! 

As his parting Twitter message to us, Leonard Nimoy reminded, "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP

Together, we watched this video where Nimoy, a Jew, explained the genesis of the Vulcan salute that became so endemic to our society. It's a fascinating story (as Spock would say, with one eyebrow arched!).


BUZZED:  This afternoon, I had the distinct pleasure of sharing my love of space exploration with a rapt audience of six-or-seven year olds. :)

Son Kennedy invited me to be a guest reader in his classroom. Upon invitation, I knew that I'd be preaching the gospel of space exploration. ;)

I chose the book "One Giant Leap: The Story of Neil Armstrong" by Don Brown. I wanted to share this wonderful book because it starts with Neil as a young child, rather than an adult  astronaut.  I augmented it with audio clips from NASA of Neil and friends touching down at Tranquility base and then setting foot on the moon. And I also incorporated some 3D models from "Moon Landing" - an intricate pop up book.  

The kids were rapt, and had lots of questions. Thankfully, I had good science- and reality-based answers for all of them!

BARCELONA: For whatever reason, CJ went on a kick this afternoon asking questions all about Spain and Barcelona. I couldn't answer all his questions, but I was happy to be able to share with him an amazing duet of Queen's Freddie Mercury and and operatic soprano Montserrat Caballé.

No comments:

Post a Comment