Monday, October 10, 2016

Clowning Around

CREEPY CAKE: Another weekend, another birthday, another cake to make. This go 'round it was for Rick. He, like me, detests clowns. Therefore, it only made sense that we make him a clown cake. 

Here was our to-do list for Saturday, authored by Annabelle. (More on the bead thing later.)
The first thing we got to doing for the clown was making teeth and eyes out of gumpaste. That was fun and easy. 
Our clown was modeled after Pennywise, as played by Tim Curry in Stephen King's "It" back in 1990 in a TV miniseries. When Pennywise was in attack mode, he had yellow-ish irises. 
 We actually made the clown's head out of crispy rice treat, molded.
 It had to be crumb coated before being covered in fondant.
 The head sat atop a round cake, made with rainbow batter. 
Oh how I wish I had red cotton candy for the clown's hair. Instead, I had to make spun sugar. That's a little bit tricky. My first four batches were a big failure.
 By the fifth time, I hit my stride, fortunately. 
In the end, our clown cake had funny looking hair that was hard to attach. Bummer. 
He was ugly and creepy, though, so that's a plus.If I had it to do over again, I would use that super thin red licorice for hair if I couldn't get red cotton candy.
 Annabelle had another clown art project. She made a scary clown out of Perler beads
It turned out really well! I mean, creepy, but that was the desired effect.

VIRAL ASSIGNMENT: This math problem was popping up all over social media today. So, I made it the kids' math homework. 

CJ had no trouble with it. Likewise, 
JUST PASSING BY:  There are lots of opportunities for Seattle area people to enjoy watching International Space Station flyovers in the next couple of weeks. It gets dark so early now that it doesn't even require staying up late.


No comments:

Post a Comment