Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Open Wide

TOOTHY GRIN: This afternoon, the kids had dentist appointments. CJ was due for a panorama, and the office was kind enough to email me a copy. So how's that for a toothy grin? 

Unfortunately, he has all four of his wisdom teeth. Bummer. We were hoping he'd luck out and be missing some/all of them. No such luck. :/  Guess there will be some "David After Dentist" in his future.

ROCK ON: This afternoon, we headed over the the kids' learning center for a bit. I had a meeting to attend, and they enjoyed an hour or so in the library, learning about rocks. 

There were dozens of specimens on display, and kids were invited to get a sample box and fill them up.

Below is CJ's rock box, and following is a brief explanation of his rock gathering experience.
Today, in the school library, there was a little table with several groups of rocks on it. Lloyanne, the school's librarian, was running the station, and she had collected the rocks on various geological trips through Washington and British Columbia. She gave us a box with several squares in it, to put the rocks we picked out in. I picked out 7 rocks, including opalized petrified wood, fluorite, jasper, quartz crystal, petrified wood, agate, and soapstone. My personal favorite was the fluorite, as it had an unusual shape and pretty colors. My least favorite, however, was the petrified wood. Although petrified wood sounds interesting on paper, in reality, in my opinon, well; it looks kind of bland. Lloyanne told me that I could continue rock collecting at home, numbering the rocks I collect and putting them in my box.
 And here we have Annabelle's box. 
Here's what she had to say about it. ...
Today at school there was a summer reading activity about rocks and minerals. We were supplied boxes by the librarian and she had some really neat rock specimens for us to take home! The one I got that was my favorite was some Lepidolite, and I also chose things like Serpentine, Quartz crystal, Fluorite, and others! It was fun seeing the different kinds of minerals and learning about them. I think this was a great summer program!

No comments:

Post a Comment