Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Turkey Eve

I'M TOO SEXY FOR THIS SHIRT: Ceej and Bee had a protracted, wide ranging free-play session this morning. I just love listening to their dialogue and negotiations of the storyline.

At one point CJ came over to me and held up an Iron Man action figure sans removable armor and said, "Look, it's sexy Iron Man."

ROFL!

From his pre-dawn uppance to tuck-in-bed at night, CJ asks us for the definition of countless words. (One of these days I need to make a list of his inquiries.) A couple of days ago he asked us what 'sexy' means. We tried to explain. I guess some portion/version of that stuck, based on his declaration about Iron Man.

A few minutes later, Annabelle had to show me that one of the Pokemon characters had inherited Iron Man's shirt. ...

THANKSGIVING DYNAMICS: I found a great logic game online related to Thanksgiving.
The challenge is to seat everyone in the proper place at the table based on their like or dislike of certain foods and specific people. I scored 9,750 the first time I tried it. CJ had about half that his first time through, but beat my score by a bit on his second try.

I was in the shower when Annabelle came up to tell me she scored 1,500. I told her that wasn't very good and I knew she could do better and that I'd help her when I came downstairs.

Yeah, well when I came down, the score read 10,500! She'd told me the wrong number! I told her that was a terrific score and that I was proud of her. :)

CANDLE CRAFT: I had a couple of pint sized boxes sitting atop the recycling, some cranberries on the counter and freezing weather outside. Together, they were the perfect ingredients for a Thanksgiving table decoration.

We cleaned the carton and filled it with water. Then we dropped a couple of handfuls of cranberries in. Next, we wrapped a votive candle's bottom in foil and set it carefully amidst the cranberries. Then, we put it outside to let it freeze. On Thanksgiving we'll remove the carton and hopefully have a pretty (though temporary) candle holder.EVOLUTION OF KONG: This evening CJ and I read a story online about Donkey Kong's evolution. DK's had an interesting number of incarnations. He's been the good guy and the bad guy. CJ is looking forward to his newest title - Donkey Kong Country Returns.

MEASURING UP: We continued our new chapter dealing with units of measurement. Today's focus was estimating using meters and centimeters. Questions were like, 'Is a flagpole 5 meters high or 5 centimeters high?' CJ was really struggling with that. He just doesn't quite have his head wrapped around it yet. We started the session by measuring the kids, who are each a bit over 1 meter tall. But CJ wasn't using that knowledge to make inferences about other objects. I'm sure the switch will flip for him soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment