Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Hearts

HEARTY BREAKFAST: In honor of Valentine's Day, the kids had pink tinted pancakes for breakfast. I doubt they tasted any different than normal pancakes, but they dug them. :)

The kids had noticed some mylar balloons at area stores recently that they thought were The Best. I took note and dispatched Christian to bring them home last night. So , the kids woke up to those and their great delight.

A TO Z: For a good language arts exercise, I had the kids arrange some words (bouquet, candy, card, flowers, gift, heart, hugs, kisses, love, rose) in alphabetical order. That was both fun and frustrating. :)

I also found an exercise on EnchantedLearning.com for them. It was called, "My Heart, A Book About Feelings," where they had to complete sentences. Here's Annabelle's, with her writing in quotes:

I feel happy when "I'm having fun."

I feel silly when "I laugh."

I feel sad when "I'm crying."

I feel scared when "it's dark in my bed."

I feel angry when "CJ doesn't play with me."

I feel good when "I'm happy."

I feel bad when "I'm sad."

I feel; loved when "I'm with my family."

And here's CJ's take:

I feel happy when "I see my favorite cartoon."

I feel sad when someone's bid is better then mine." (Damn you eBay competitors!)

I feel silly when "I see MAD (TV)."

I feel angry when "something takes so long!"

I feel scared when "I see a snake in a Dora episode."

Ifeel good when "I get a toy I want."

I feel bad when "I get hurt."

I feel loved when "I see Camille." (his BFF from kindergarten)

MIGHT AS WELL JUMP: Our Valentine's Day treat for the kids was taking them to Sky High - a trampoline lover's dream. Locally (Bellevue) they have a homeschooler's special of $7 per hour on Monday afternoons between 1 and 2 p.m. It was awesome! :)



GRIM REALITY: As sweet sounding as Valentine's Day is, the reality is that it has rather grim roots. As it turns out, on February 14 around the year 278 A.D., Valentine, a holy priest in Rome in the days of Emperor Claudius II, was executed.

Cladius the Cruel had banned all marriages and engagements in Rome. Valentine, realizing the injustice of the decree, defied Claudius and continued to perform marriages for young lovers in secret.

When Valentine's actions were discovered, Claudius ordered that he be put to death. Valentine was arrested and dragged before the Prefect of Rome, who condemned him to be beaten to death with clubs and to have his head cut off. The sentence was carried out on February 14, on or about the year 270.

When told of the origins of Valentine's Day, CJ said, "It's more bloody and gruesome and glory (sic) than romantic."

3 comments:

  1. Never knew the history - thanks. The "I feel"s were interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trampoline World reminds me of...
    KOSHO!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot about that - they could have Kosho tournaments there!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTqAfJYWe58

    ReplyDelete