Thursday, May 26, 2011

'Round Redmond

ISLAND TIME: We started our day with some math at the kitchen island. It occurs to me that Annabelle would get done a WHOLE lot faster if every story problem didn't turn into an art project. ;)

CRAMMIN': Today we began studying for the kids' science final next week. I think it's the first time we've ever crammed for a test! Our studies consist of reviewing all the lesson notes from the soil unit and reading over their in class experiments and homework. It's a lot of ground to cover (get it? get it?!).

TEST PILOT: This morning I reminded CJ today's the day he gets to be a Playtester at Microsoft in Redmond (about a half hour east of Seattle). His response: "When I get to Microsoft, I'll tell them I'm not a center keyboarder."

Huh what?

He explained that meant that he doesn't like to use the letter keys on a keyboard as the movement keys when playing a computer game. Oh, OK. ... He must have picked that term up while watching a YouTube video.

Christian went in with CJ today, and they signed a confidentiality agreement, so I can't disclose details, but let's just say that CJ got a WORKOUT mentally and physically. He tested several games and offered lots of feedback. My favorite story is when he was asked for suggested improvements on one game, he requested a health meter for the game's hero. The test proctor acknowledged that and asked if CJ thought there should be one. I think CJ's answer was a definite yes, because he said that without a health meter "clearly this game is for toddlers." I'm told the proctor busted out laughing at that.

When he emerged from the testing - over two hours later - CJ was smiling broadly. "I got paid!" he announced, holding a $20 Amazon gift card. This makes CJ, who knows his way around eBay and Amazon, a Very Happy Boy. :)PARK PATROL: While the guys were embedded under the Microsoft Cone of Secrecy, Annabelle and I struck out to explore some points beyond the campus. Our first stop was a park just across the street from the northeast corner of campus - Cascade View Neighborhood Park. Annabelle enjoyed exploring it - though she was a little nonplussed with how slow the slides were.After about 40 minutes there, we headed a little further eastward and a bit south to Idylwood Beach Park on the shore of Lake Sammamish. The 18-acre park has a (carry in) boat launch, a swimming area, some trails, a nice playground and great barbecue spots, including a big shelter with a great roof line.We checked out the docks, were some ducks practically begged Annabelle for food. The park had a cool percussion instrument feature, complete with "sheet" music.
RISING SUN: A Facebook friend today pointed me in the direction of the Japanese Space Agency's Web site. I'm ashamed to admit that until today, I hadn't thought about the Japanese having a space program. :0

Right now, Japanese astronaut Satoshi Furukawa is preparing for his mission on board a Russian spacecraft to be launched at the Baikonur Cosmodrome in the Republic of Kazakhstan on June 8. The vessel's three-man crew will include NASA astronaut Michael Fossum and Russian cosmonaut Sergey Volkov. Furukawa will be on the space station for five and a half months - wow!

1 comment:

  1. "Clearly for toddlers" !! I'll bet he laughed, I'm still laughing. When they invite him back it won't be for toddler games I wager.

    Math and art - is that what you call "Fusion"

    ReplyDelete