Thursday, August 18, 2011

Splish Splash

ARMED TO THE TEETH: Before 8 this a.m. I hear the 'clink' of the silverware drawer opening. A familiar sound, but usually it's me opening it.

However, today the sound was produced by Annabelle. I watched her walk from the kitchen to a cardboard box she was working on for a craft project. I must have clearly been aghast at what I saw because Bee said, "You said I could use knives now!!"

Yikes.

STAIRWAY TO NOWHERE:
For a while now I've been wishing I had a stair stepper instead of a Health Rider for exercise. It occurred to me yesterday that I climb three sets of stairs to reach the car when we go somewhere. I announced my plans to the kids this a.m. that I'd be going up and down our steps for a bit. I thought 10x sounded like a nice number, but when I told CJ he replied, "I'm going to do it 300 times."
Oh, OK. ;)

He actually did pretty well, lasting 10 trips up and down before he said his legs felt funny. I did 13 and only stopped 'cause we had to head out.

WATER WONDERS: Today we had a noontime date with CJ's BFF from kindergarten. We'd arranged to meet at the big fountain at Seattle Center. We parked in our usual (free!) spot about 3 blocks away, and took a bit of a different route over, as I wanted to check out a fountain we'd noted before but never gotten a close look at. It was in the courtyard of the (now defunct) Intiman Theater. This is "Fountain of the Northwest," dedicated on April 21, 1962. The artist who created it is Jamed Fitzgerald. How excellent that it still looks so amazing 48 years later.

We happened to catch it at a time when a rainbow was evident. Between the Intiman fountain and the big show, Annabelle discovered another low-slung, circular fountain. "Look! It's a whirlpool!" she declared. And she was right. The bowl filled up, drained and then filled again.
Cool! We all agreed it would be fun to play with some toy boats in this fountain.

Of course, we also visited the big fountain in the center of it all. CeeJ and Bee are in the foreground.
Come evening, we met an out-of-town visitor at the Pike Brewery/Pub for dinner. Afterward, we walked down to the waterfront and wandered around like tourists for awhile. CJ and Annabelle talked us into buying some dessert for them at one tourist trap.

1 comment:

  1. I remember the Fitzgerald Fountain. April 21 1962 was the opening day of Century 21, the Seattle World's Fair. It's fascinating.

    ReplyDelete