Thursday, September 29, 2011

Mixed Bag

BRICK HOUSE: Today was the kids' second day of LEGO building class. CJ had to finish building a house he started last week. Meanwhile, Annabelle got to disassemble her build from last week and start working on a Blue Angels model. She also got to get some time in on the class build project - the shuttle on the launch pad. Neat-o!

SPEAKING OF SHUTTLES: We had some more cookies to make for a rocket launching friend to take to on a visit the mothership (space shuttle Discovery at the Space Coast, cross country). I had some shuttle blanks left over, so of course the kids had fun customizing them. And here's what the the 'official' cookies looked like. As you can see, I also attempted some NASA logos this go round. BY DESIGN: Yesterday, CJ hatched an idea for a new kind of Pokemon character, specifically the Firelord Pokemon.
All by herself, Annabelle found a Pokemon to build off in a YouTube video. She took a screen shot, opened Photoshop, started a new file, pasted the screen shot, cropped it and then used several different tools and techniques to create Firelord Pokemon. She consulted with CJ throughout the process and made changes per his specs. She was even savvy enough to remember to save her work periodically (and even saved different versions of it in files with different names). Not bad for a six year old. :)

FINGERTIPS:
While looking for Scotch tape, Annabelle came across some fingernail polish and asked if she could use it. I said of course, and ended up putting the polish on for her. At that she said, "When someone else paints my nails, it feels like a fairy tickling my fingernails." After we were done, Bee went fishing for compliments. She went to CJ and said, "What do you think of my nails?"

He responded with an enthusiastic, "Cool!" which I thought was sweet of him.
Apparently it wasn't sweet enough for Annabelle. "When you're a grown up and a woman asks you about her nails, you should say 'they're pretty' instead of 'they're cool.' Girls prefer that," she informed.

I told CJ I think I'd rather have someone tell me my nails are "cool" and that his feedback was just fine. :)

AND ANOTHER ONE'S GONE: Annabelle was showing me how one of her adult teeth is coming in. When I was poking around, I touched another tooth and out it popped (no kidding, just like that). She promptly set about writing the Tooth Fairy a note, explaining she expects cash but also wants to keep her tooth. ABOUT LAST NIGHT: A few odds and ends left over from last night. First up, the kids with the wonderful new Dave Niehuas statue. I would have liked to hang out with Dave for awhile, but there was a line of people waiting for photo opps. We'll have to catch Dave next season, when the newness of the statue has worn off.

Here's Kennedy, a/k/a Boba Fett, busting a move to the music between innings.
As we were walking out of the stadium (did I mention the Ms lost) a concession worker appeared from a back door with an armload of cotton candy, handing it out free to "lucky" people. Bee was thrilled, because we don't buy that crap for her. Tired and disappointed, we made the longish walk back to our cars talking about next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment