Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Space Coaster

FIRST THINGS FIRST: Definitely A#1 on my to do list today was getting all official like for the NASA Tweetup. That meant taking my two official government issued IDs to the press credential building on the NASA 'campus' off Highway 3.

Badging started at 9 this a.m. and that's when I was there. I was happy - it only took about two minutes to get my ID. On the way out of the office, I ran into Tom, someone I 'know' - one of my friends from a Facebook group of fellow space enthusiasts. Like CJ and Annabelle, his name is on the poster that recently flew on the ISS.

From there, I headed south to Cocoa Beach to have a reunion with my college friend and her daughter. It was so good to see them - it has been years. The three of us tooled around the Space Coast, from Cocoa Beach to Cocoa to Titusville and points in between. We had a nice lunch and hit up some shopping spots, and took in some local scenery. Here's a pier in Titusville. In the far, far distance you can see the Vehicle Assembly Building.
While in Cocoa Beach, I just had to hop out of the car and take a pic of the "I Dream of Jeannie" street sign. Remember Major Nelson was an astronaut and they lived on the Space Coast?
SPACE VIEW: Late afternoon, I took a solo excursion to a place I've always wanted to see - Space View Park in Titusville. 
Many a rocket launch has been viewed from this place.
The park is filled with monuments and memorials, as well as this large statue commemorating the Mercury 7 (also known as Astronaut Group 1). 

Around the park there are dozens of casts of handprints of spaceflight pioneers. I took this photo of Al Worden's hands, since the kids have met him. :)
There's a wonderful, life-sized statue of John F. Kennedy at the park. Though he wasn't an astronaut, is there a man who was more important to America's early space flight program? I think not.

Originally taken in July 2010, this photo shows NASA engineers installing six wheels on the Curiosity rover. NASA's Mars Science Laboratory Project will launch Curiosity on Friday, Nov. 26. Curiosity is scheduled for arrival at Mars in August 2012. Image Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech

No comments:

Post a Comment