Thursday, February 9, 2012

Space Case

AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH: I saw this 'motivational poster' today on a friend's Facebook page and couldn't help but agree with it.

And while I'm griping, can I just also point out that we humans haven't set foot on a heavenly body other than Earth since Apollo 17, in December of 1972. That's a damn long time. I was thinking about this quote we saw on the wall of the special NASA exhibit in San Diego in December.
And now, almost FORTY years later we in the U.S. don't even have our own way to get our astronauts to the International Space Station any more.

Yeah, I know private enterprise is supposed to be stepping in, but guess what - just today it was announced that SpaceX's unmanned launch to the ISS has been delayed again.  The launch was supposed to be on Feb. 7, but that date slipped a few weeks back, and now it's being pushed out even further. To late April, at the earliest.

No one ever said it would be easy, I suppose ... It just feels like so many giant steps backward for mankind sometimes.

MARS MINDED: In happier news, I spent a good part of the day thinking and reading about the Mars Science Laboratory, currently zooming toward Mars.

I've been invited to give a talk to a couple of kindergarten classes. This Tuesday I'll be giving a half hour presentation about Mars and the Mars Science Laboratory/Curiosity project. I'm happy to have the opportunity to do so, but egad - it is not coming together quickly and it's totally my fault.

I have props to bring in, but I'm also putting together a fun PowerPoint presentation with relevant and (hopefully) captivating still shots, lots of audience interaction, a cool video of the launch, and an artist's animation of the landing.

The hard part of this task is I keep finding more, More, MORE interesting stuff and I wind up reading, watching ... and getting further away from being done. Not good. But look, isn't this a gem?! How am I supposed to ignore stuff like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment