Wednesday, April 4, 2012

As the Worms Turn

FUN AND GAMES: Today we headed north for art and science classes. In between the two, the kids enjoyed the Mac computers in the library, particularly the Photobooth software. Above and below are a couple of self portraits.
EGGSTRAVAGANZA: Between classes, the kids had an opportunity to make an artistic Ukrainian-style Easter egg in the pysanka tradition. It's an intricate art form that involves tremendous fine motor skills and lots of patience.
"I don't want to do it!" CJ declared upon being presented the opportunity.

Unfortunately for him, I wasn't taking 'no' for an answer. And so, we sat down at the egg decoration station and reviewed how you have to scoop wax into the tiny bowl on your kistka, hold your kistka in a candle flame so the wax melts, and then draw the design on your egg. It's pretty simple - unless you don't want to be doing it so you don't listen to the directions. In that case, you might wind up scooping wax, heating it up, and then dumping it on your hand. That would be CJ's experience. And then his reaction? Well that would be yelling at me that it was my fault that he burned himself. I suppose on some level it was, because I "made" him do it, but I didn't take that very well frankly. I told him I was very sorry he dumped hot wax on himself but that he should think twice before blaming someone else for his actions.

So CJ got to sit and watch and pout while Annabelle finished her egg. Mercifully, Bee completed hers without injury.

SQUIRMY WORMS: This afternoon's science class was loads of fun. The kids got their own personal pet meal worms last week, and this week, our pet population grew. Now they have waxworms as well! SO exciting!
First, we learned a bit about where waxworms live (yes, in wax, as in honey beehives), and their stages of life. Next, the kids got to examine both waxworms and meal worms under a microscope.
  It was really interesting seeing their tiny spikes (hair), stripes and such.

And now, we here at MPA have a burgeoning worm population. And this afternoon, when we were out rooting up dandelions, we unearthed so many big meaty earthworms. The kids wanted to capture them and keep them as pets, but I told them I thought it best the worms continue to live with us in the great outdoors, in our yard.

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER: When a question is asked in science class, Annabelle's hand goes up quickly. Always. However, one thing I noticed today for the first time (maybe because her right had was dyed red from the pysanky experience) was that every time she raised her hand, it went up in the shape of a Vulcan salute.  That's my girl! When I asked her about it later, she hadn't even realized she was doing it. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Two important lessons to learn in life:
    1} Sometimes you have to do things you don't want to do,
    2} It is better to do them right away instead of putting them off

    ReplyDelete
  2. May I recommend Kate Seredy's THE GOOD MASTER? It's a little old-fashioned, but it has descriptions of Hungarian Easter eggs that I still remember twenty years later. Maybe a few grade levels too high for independent reading.

    ReplyDelete