Friday, June 15, 2012

Hijacked

EVERGREEN: We got to get out into the great wide open today and I we took the time to marvel at the lovely new growth on evergreens 'round here. I asked the kids to ID new growth vs. older, and to describe the differences. The lighter green needles are soft and pliable as compared to the darker needles. It may not be smelling the roses, but it's lovely to stop and contemplate the evergreens.

TROJAN HORSE: Today's blog is going to be brief because yesterday my PC got hijacked by a Trojan (and no, I don't think it was a USC student or alum).

So,  I'm trying to type away on Annabelle's laptop, which is encrusted with all sorts of things it shouldn't be, and has sticky keys aplenty. Bear with me.

LAST LAUGH: We spent a good deal of time outside today. For instance, with the kids' help, I actually mowed the lawn today. This is Significant, because three weeks ago today, attempting to mow the lawn led to an ER trip for me, with a bulb on the side of my ankle the size of my fist (shudder, shudder, bleech).

There, the doctor told me it was a bad Bad sprain and I would have been better off breaking it in terms of healing time. She said I'd be off it for six weeks. Pshaw! I say. I was not about to let our lawn have the last laugh.

And so, I mowed. Gingerly. :) I couldn't have done it without CeeJ and Bee, who helped move the loong, heavy cord and fetch and move obstacles. Nothing like teamwork! I don't think I've ever been as satisfied after mowing a lawn as I was today.

ZIP-A-DEE-DO-DAH: I decided we needed to get out to a local park since it was sunny out. My mind turned to Discovery Park and its zipline. That made me thing of "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" from Disney's Song of the South. I sang it a couple of times before I could coax the kids into joining in.

CJ wanted to know the song's history (of course). It's from 1946.

We had a fun time at the park, of course.
GET IT ON: This afternoon we took Christian to get his Father's Day present. Practical person that I am, I decided he needed a skirt. ;) Actually, I took him to Utilikilt headquarters and he's now the proud owner of a Utilikilt - the Survivor model in Coyote color. It's fabulous. :) I think I might need one!

The store was super cool, as was the salesman. He offered us a beer and encouraged the kids to get it on, bang a gong (and he knew that was a TRex song). Every kilt store should have a gong, don't you think?
It was a delightful sounding gong. I told the 20-something salesman it reminded me of being at a Queen concert (the end of Bho Rhap comes to mind). 



1 comment:

  1. Every Macfarlane should have a Utilikilt. Good work.

    I remember seeing that movie "Song of the South"

    ReplyDelete