Thursday, July 26, 2012

Incoming

RETURN OF THE SGT: This morning Boeing Field was the place to be, as NASA's amazing Super Guppy Turbine made a return to the Emerald City. On board was the second shipment of the big ol' shuttle trainer that is being installed at the MoF. 

The Guppy, made by Aero Spacelines and the last of its kind flying, was scheduled to touch down at 10 a.m. We (Renee, Jim, Kennedy and I) arrived at the museum about 9:45. We stood out in the parking lot, looking northward, as that's the direction it came from when the kids, Christian and I went and saw it fly in a couple weeks ago.

About 9:54, I saw lights headed our way, with wispy trails of black smoke behind it. From my past experience, I immediately knew it to be the SGT, and let the people around us know it was incoming. 

 Though advance notice of the event specifically said there would be no fly over before landing, I guess the SGT pilot didn't get that memo.
See? There's no landing gear down! 
Here it comes ... 
 
and here it goes!
 
It cut through the clouds south of Boeing Field before turning north over Lake Washington ...
 before turning back southbound and touching down. 
 
 
 
 

As we stood along the fence line on The Museum of Flight's east border, the SGT rolled right past us. (In the frame above, you can see that I was shooting through a chainlink fence.)

After watching the Guppy land, we spent a couple of hours walking around the Museum of Flight. It was amazing, as always. 

As Kennedy and I left the museum, we were happy to see at that very moment they were unloading the cargo. The front of the Guppy was cracked wide open. Amazing!
And because of my awesome photography skills, you also get to see the back of Ken!

ALSO INCOMING: Tonight, CeeJ, Bee and Christian are finally returning home. I'm looking forward to seeing them, of course, Here's a pic of Annabelle during a pit stop they made in Vancouver, to visit G&G.


No comments:

Post a Comment