Thursday, March 14, 2013

3.14

8.38: This morning was no ordinary morning. With the dawn's early light, CJ realized it was Pi Day!!!!

Fortunately, last night we had the foresight to make an appropriate breakfast for this a.m. - apple pi!

It was delicious - a bit surprising since I didn't use a recipe for the crust or the filling. Guess watching all that Food Network has finally paid off!

Much to the kids' delight, dinner was pizza pie. We made that from scratch this afternoon. You can tell by the look on his face, CJ takes his pizza pie VERY seriously.
90+%: After the pi-riffic breakfast, we got down the serious stuff.  We listened to the seventh and final lecture in week 2 of "How Things Work," a physics class from the University of Virginia via Coursera, as well as a short summary of all the week's lessons. Then, it was test time.

It was H-A-R-D hard. Just a 10-question test, which meant that with every wrong answer, my grade slipped. :0  While I was reading the questions, many of which looked so foreign, I couldn't help but wonder if we should have bought the $172 textbook. ...

The only good news was that it was an untimed test, so when all of us got stuck on the same problem - a question about coins of different sizes, how fast and how far they'd fall, we went and got a handful of coins and started tossing and came to our own conclusion. :)
I'm not gonna lie. When I hit "submit," I was ready for the worst. I was only *sure* I had 4 of the 10 right. Um, that's a big fat F!

I waited the eternal two seconds for my results and ... I've never been so happy to see a 9/10 in my life!  Phew!

CJ and Annabelle did even better when they hit submit. :)

Have I mentioned how much we love Coursera? What an amazing resource!

2 comments:

  1. your coin experiment mimics the one supposedly conducted by Gallileo on the Tower of Pisa - about 500 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the discussion forum for the class (where a number of people were fretting over questions on the quiz), a couple of people referenced the Pisa experiment. We'll have to read up on that.

      Delete