Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Driven

       
ONE SMALL SCOOP FOR MAN:  It has begun. Bertha, the world's largest tunneling machine, will begin eating away at the ground, creating a 1.7 mile long tunnel that runs from South Lake Union to the stadiums at the south end of town.  

If you want to keep up with Bertha's progress, and her 'thoughts,' follow her on Twitter @BerthaDigsSR99

TEED OFF:  This morning, Kennedy talked me into going down to the golf course at the bottom of our hill. The course I gaze at every day and night, but have only been to twice in all our years here.  While we didn't play 18, or even attempt the mini-golf course there, we did split a bucket of balls.  (It was about a 90/10 split.)  
I hadn't driven a golf ball since eighth grade, on the football field of Gaiser Middle School during P.E. I was a little rusty, LOL.

Actually, as I looked around at other people driving balls, I can saw with confidence, I was definitely not the worst driver at the range, which makes me feel rather triumphant.  But I still don't envision myself on the LPGA tour any time soon.

WORD FROM THE WOODS:  Today the kids and Christian checked in with me via phone. They had gone into the town of Oakridge, which is near their campground, Packard Creek, to use the wi-fi at the library to download this week's lectures in our Science of Gastronomy class.  

Unfortunately, the library wasn't open when they arrived.  Christian fired up his Kindle and it let him know that there was another wifi source close by, at the Brewers Union Local 180.  How fortunate.  That place has two things the library doesn't: Beer and French fries.  

WORD TO THE WISE:  Here's a video that's making the rounds.  It's uber geek Wil Wheaton (of Star Trek the Next Generation fame), answering a woman's question at the Calgary Comic Expo. The woman had asked what Wheaton would say to her young daughter about "why it's awesome to be a nerd." It's pretty darn heartwarming.


TESTING 1-2-3: This afternoon I received a call from Microsoft asking if Annabelle was available for a Playtest next Tuesday afternoon. I said, 'potentially,' and we went through a bunch of screening questions. She fits the profile of what they're looking for, so we signed her up. That's always an interesting experience, and it will look good on her resume. ;)

1 comment:

  1. Driving ranges are fun even if you don't golf.

    And maybe SPL should try some beer and frech fries events. Sounds like fun to me.

    ReplyDelete