Friday, January 17, 2014

Blue Friday

RALLY TIME: I'd known for a couple of days about a Seahawks rally set to take place at Westlake Center in downtown Seattle today. 

Naturally, I was interested, but we have a lot on our plates right now, and I thought maybe taking four hours out of our Friday to travel to and fro and enjoy the festivities might not be prudent. 

Yeah, well to heck with prudence. It's the Seahawks playing in the NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP. How often does THAT happen? Only twice in my lifetime. "I think we better do this," I reasoned. That, and we live IN Seattle. For most of my life that was not the case, and I'd only dream about being able to attend events like this. If we didn't go, shame on us, right?

I told the kids 'round 9 am we could go to the rally if they rallied and got stuff done this a.m. that we needed to. That was all they needed to hear. By 10 a.m., we'd knocked out a complicated genetics lecture, they'd tidied up 'round here, and and I'd baked 3 batches of cookies. Good enough, we were out the door.

We rode to the rally in style - via monorail!  We parked by the Queen Anne McMenamins, walked to Seattle Center, and made our way to the monorail.

I was surprised there weren't more rally bound passengers. A couple of businessmen on the dock ahead of us made sure CJ and Annabelle got on first and urged them to take the front row. How very kind.
They had a great view, and chatted with the driver.
After a quick, 2-minute ride, we stepped off the monorail at Westlake Center, right next to the plaza where the event was being held.  One of the first things we saw was this sweet car. I think it's so funny, the kids spontaneously posed like this in front of it.
It was about 11:45 as we made our way to the plaza, with the official program start set for noon. The place was already packed and I started sizing up a good spot for us.  I saw the climbing structure and told the kids we'd be headed for that. 
Above, you can see CJ in the white jersey, perched atop the climber. Meanwhile, I was busily scoping out a spot we'd actually be able to see the stage despite the thousands and thousands on hand. I zeroed in on a park bench adjacent to the press pool. That was as good as it got, I thought. I staked out our space.
It was a good call. We could see the stage just fine, not to mention the colorful crowd. 

There were people way up high, on the building adjacent to the plaza.
And there was a good crowd gathering across the way, on the Westlake Plaza balcony.

During the show, the jungle gym filled up with young Hawks. :)
It was fun looking 'round the crowd. Loved these signs about Marshawn Pinch from the Seattle Aquarium, a hermit crab with a Seahawks' shell. 
The crab even has his own Web cam here: http://www.seattleaquarium.org/MarshawnPinch-cam

We listened to the Blue Thunder (Seahawks drumline) and the SeaGals perform. There was also a contest between a young Seahawks fan and the lone Niners fan in attendance.
The Niners fan lost, big surprise. ;)

Steve Raible, the voice of the Seahawks, served as the master of ceremonies. He opened with the obligatory (and hopefully oft-heard, come Sunday), "TOUCHDOWN, SEAHAWKS!!!!"
Raible introduced and interviewed a number of Seahawks alumni. Here he is talking to Hillary Butler, who played for the Huskies AND the 'Hawks!
And how cool was it to see Norm Johnson, the Seahawks' you-can-count-on-me kicker from their early years. Below, Johnson poses for a selfie with Raible! Epic!
I learned today, Johnson partnered with Dick's Brewing Company to produce the tasty 12 Man Pale Ale. One of the business partners of 12 Brands, LLC, Johnson was smart enough to secure the trademark of the 12 Man Pale Ale a couple of years ago.

And how I loved seeing my favorite Seahawks of days gone by, Manu Tuiasosopo! The Tuiasospo family has become a NW sports dynasty!
We also got to hear from certain-to-be-first-ballot Hall-of-Famer Walter Jones!
The official program ran about a half hour. Right afterward, CJ and Annabelle were interviewed by KOMO TV. 
It was so funny, CJ screamed, "Let's go Hawks, let's DESTROY the 49niners!" into the mic. It was as guttural as I've ever heard him!  

The segment showed a lot of sights and sounds from the rally, but KOMO reporter declared her "personal favorite" Annabelle's wings. :)

I haven't been able to find a link to the video online, but we did happen to catch it on the 6 pm news and I grabbed Rick's phone off the desk and quickly filmed it. You can't hear the TV very well, you can mostly hear me screaming at CJ to come see himself on the TV and then CJ freaking out that he was on TV. ;)

I love hearing Annabelle's explanation regarding her wardrobe choice. It was in the "Duh, Ralph" vein.

The ride back to Seattle Center included a number of the same passengers as our trip to Westlake. 
We took advantage of a few photo opps at Seattle Center. For instance, we had to get a photo of the 12th Man flag top the Space Needle.
 The kids were hungry post-rally (all that cheering apparently works up an appetite). Rather than eat at the Center, we headed back to Magnolia. The kids had a fro-yo lunch at Menchie's. Annabelle left some artwork in our wake.
I simply HAD to take advantage of Starbucks' offer for 12 cent coffee for 12th Man fans. When I walked in, the young man working the counter asked if I wanted a Seahawks coffee. I couldn't help but wonder aloud what a Seahawk tasted like. "Salmon, perhaps?" I mused, figuring you are what you eat, and surely Seahawks eat salmon.
The coffee didn't taste like salmon, but it was delicious. Certainly the best 12 cent cup of coffee I've ever had.

Oh, and we worked on genetics and music today, too. It wasn't all about silly football, I swear.











1 comment: