Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Short Stuff

LOOPY: In short order, Annabelle has become a Rainbow Loom pro.

Today, she tackled an 'expert level' video tutorial for a honey bee bracelet (http://youtu.be/ROqLgi-MV3k)

At one point she got stuck and set it aside for a few hours, but I encouraged her to backtrack if need be and work through it. Within five minutes her troubleshooting paid off and she was the proud owner of a new bee bracelet.

PRACTICE MAKES SOMETHING: The kids had several music practice sessions today. They are scheduled to perform tomorrow night. Ideally, they'd be stone cold ready. However, I think some finger crossing is in order this go round. :/

I found myself repeatedly using sports analogies today as they were practicing. We talked about the point of practice (to try to improve), and how bad practice is probably worse than no practice, because it just reinforces bad habits instead of ingraining good ones.  I told the kids the Seahawks certainly didn't get to go to the Super Bowl just because they wanted to. It took weeks/months/years of practice as individuals and then together, as a team.

At one point today, I noticed CJ doing some odd stuff with this head/mouth and so I had Annabelle go get a mirror and hold it up so he could see what was going on.
They'll certainly practice more tomorrow before the evening's show. Here's hoping things magically come together...

Meanwhile, I'm neck deep in cookies to take to the event, which is why today's post is super short. I'll be glad when Thursday is over.

2 comments:

  1. "Funny how the more you practice, the luckier you get." I think that quote comes from Lou Holtz - but maybe not. Regardless, it's true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I worked with job seekers on public assistance, that was the only motivational type quote I had hanging in my cubicle. "The harder we work, the luckier we become." I think it had a Lombardi attribution. I'll bet lots of people have said it or something simliar.

      Delete