Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Scouting and Scheming

                        
ANOTHER WIDE-EYED NIGHT: Sleepless in Seattle continues. I thought we'd relax once the Super Bowl was over, but now our obsession has shifted to the victory parade and ceremony on Feb. 5.

The parade, mostly down Fourth Avenue between Seattle Center and CenturyLink Field, is open to the public, of course, because it's on public streets. However, with upwards of 300,000 people expected, it's going to be a tight squeeze, and the sidewalks aren't that wide. So, the kids and I went out scouting the parade route for potential viewing spots this morning.

We had decided the Seattle Central Library, the King County Administration Building, and City Hall were probably our best bets by the time we returned home. However, upon checking my email, I found an offer from a friend for two tickets to the celebration at CenturyLink Field. Woo hoo! - but only half of the number of tickets we'd need. So then it was time to turn to Craigslist and scrounge up a pair from a scalper. That turned into an odyssey taking about four hours, but I was finally successful. Yippee! So we're going to the big party - lucky us.

It's going to be a loooooong day, though. Traffic in this city can be a hours-long nightmare on a 'normal' day. I can only imagine how tomorrow is going to be. Actually I know exactly how it's going to be - it's going to be The Worst Day Ever, and it's going to be below freezing for a good part of the day.  So, we need to be prepared. We have layers and layers of clothes, snacks packed, and blankets. Our electronic devices are charged and the cars are gassed up. We're going to head to the stadium district V-E-R-Y early. Ridiculously early, because I'd rather be there, sitting in our car reading books than laying in bed wide awake, wondering what horrors might await me traffic wise if I leave later.

Doors to the stadium open at 10:30, and the actual event starts around 1. It's going to be a long day, but a fun day - I hope!!

I just read a headline that said officials are now predicting 500,000 people for the parade - that's 200,000 more than they were predicting this afternoon.

Lordy, I'm not going to sleep a lick tonight. I should just drive down there now ...

In other news, we did some math, science, writing and reading today, it wasn't all about the Seahawks. Really. It wasn't. ...

One of the fun things we learned today was about a wobbly planet the Kepler space telescope has spied. It would be a wild ride living there!
This artist's concept shows NASA's Kepler spacecraft.
Image credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech

No comments:

Post a Comment