Monday, January 11, 2016

And the Stars Look Very Different Today

AS THE WORLD FALLS DOWNIf you read last Friday's blog, Jan. 8, you'll see I noted, "We spent several hours today with (David) Bowie as our soundtrack thanks to local radio station KEXP observing Intergalactic Bowie Day by playing songs from the Bowie catalog between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. They also played other artists covering Bowie songs, tunes by artists Bowie worked with, was influenced by or whom he influenced. All in all twelve hours of amazing music."

We were thrilled with Bowie's new album's release  (Blackstar) on his birthday (Jan. 8). At first listen it was nuanced, eerie, brilliant and haunting.

It was also David Bowie's parting gift to the world. 

David Robert Jones died on Jan. 10 at the age of 69, two days after releasing ★, and I am crushed. 

Still basking in the afterglow of a most unlikely Seahawks' victory on Sunday, we went to bed Sunday night blissfully unaware. I woke up this morning to an email from my sister saying nothing more than: "This is the big one."

I thought there was a devastating earthquake or something, and immediately hopped online for the news. 

I quickly came to find out that it was a tear in the fabric of the starfield. Suddenly, unexpectedly, David Bowie, who always seemed not quite of this world, had left Earth behind. 

Planet Earth is blue, and there's nothing left to do ...

Reactions poured in from around the globe as people tried to wrap their heads around it all. So much of Bowie's catalog referenced space-related topics. It was no wonder that scientists were among those mourning publicly today. 

The official NASA Twitter account tweeted: "'And the stars look very different today.' RIP David Bowie."

Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson weighed in, as well ... 

Dr. Brian May, astrophysicist and out of this world musician most famous for his work as the guitarist for Queen wrote this on his blog ...
"I woke up late, after a long night, to shocking news. David Bowie gone.
I don’t know if I can react immediately.
He was a fearsome talent, and the loss to Music and Culture from his passing is inestimable.
In and out of our lives, always challenging and innovative, and … shocking.
But this news is hard to take in.
I had no idea he was close to death. Would like to have said something …
Very sad. Sincere condolences to his family.
But what a life.
All hail, David Bowie, Star Man, Hero. RIP.
Bri"
The European Space Agency's Rosetta Mission posted this touching graphic ... their space probe with a little Ziggy Stardust flair.

Canadian Space Agency astronaut Chris Hadfield made multiple posts today about Bowie. Perhaps you remember Hadfield (with Bowie's permission) did a cover of "Space Oddity" while on the International Space Station? 


Hadfield also posted this tribute to his Facebook account.
David Bowie has died. It leaves me and, I suspect, millions around the world, with an instant feeling of loss and emptiness - and yet also a wistful joy, a sense of how creative and inspirational just one of us can be. His art defined an image of outer space, inner self, and a rapidly changing world for a generation finding themselves at the confluence.
I am honoured to have been able to return some of that favour. Being able to record Oddity (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaOC9danxNo) on the International Space Station was an attempt to bring that art full circle. It was meant as a way to allow people to experience, without it being stated, that our culture had reached beyond the planet. We live in space. I thank him for allowing us the opportunity, and for being so kind since.
These past two weeks I had watched and listened to David twice: once absorbing Lazarus (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-JqH1M4Ya8) from his new album, and once re-watching the recording he did of Little Drummer Boy with Bing Crosby (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9kfdEyV3RQ). To me they are lovely, thoughtful moments, insights into in his relentless creativity. Bookends of intimacy spanning a life, both which make me want to watch them again and again. If you haven’t seen them, I recommend you take the time.
With much respect to a genius, a silent moment of reflection: ashes to ashes, dust to stardust. Your brilliance inspired us all. Goodbye Starman.

As Bowie once said, "I always had a repulsive need to be something more than human."

And that he was. And it was anything but repulsive. :) Often other-wordly, but always lovely.

https://youtu.be/v--IqqusnNQ

To say Bowie is iconic is an understatement. Art was his life and his life was art. 

It's just such an overwhelming sense of loss. I'm just so sorry Annabelle never got to see him in concert and so glad my three other kids (and my parents!) did.

There were so many tributes to read and see online today. Millions mourned Bowie's departure. One of my favorite articles was this: 11 life Lessons to Learn From David Bowie
https://www.powerofpositivity.com/11life-lessons-to-learn-from-david-bowie/,  because at least it made me feel happy instead of sad for a couple of minutes. 

So much more to say, but I'll leave you with this - part of David Robert Jones' parting gift to his legions of fans. David Bowie knew he was dying, and ever the chameleon and artist, he took on one more role in a haunting, prescient performance of the track "Lazarus" on his final album.
Look up here, I’m in heaven
I’ve got scars that can’t be seen
I’ve got drama, can’t be stolen
Everybody knows me now

https://youtu.be/y-JqH1M4Ya8

No comments:

Post a Comment