Friday, June 22, 2018

Treasures

GOODWILL HUNTING: We had a little time to kill between stops yesterday, so we visited what I think is the biggest and best Goodwill Industries store in Seattle, on Dearborn.

We headed to the far back first, where the books and records were. CJ came away with a couple new LPs. He didn't come home with this one I used to have back in the day. 
If it was a bargain for $4.47 in 1972 dollars, it's a real steal for $ .99 now. :)

We also hit up the electronics aisle, as always. There, I spied a NEW IN BOX Realistic CB. I just *had* to (carefully) take it out of box and get my hands on it. What a gem. I wanted to buy it so much. But, it was $59, and didn't have an antenna, so I super reluctantly passed.
I'm still dreaming about it, though, literally. Last night I had cool sci fi dreams about plugging it in and firing it up and voices from the mid 1970s coming through it. I'm tempted to write a book about it.

As we entered the figurine aisle, I quipped to the kids, "This is where the real gold is." Yesterday was no exception.

Naturally, there were horrifying clowns.
 
And this "I'm sorry" statuette is soooooooo Seventies.
We were nearly to the end of the aisle when I spied something wrinkly. Wait ... what's this?

A Shar-pei?!?! Be still CJ's heart!
Not only was it a Shar-pei statue, upon closer examination it appeared to have an electronic feature. It was batteries-not-included, though, so we had to wait until we got home to find out the Shar-pei is a motion detector that barks. The Hive Mind is Watching!

WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE: Via Space.com, we learned about all sorts of fun names being given to geological features on Charon, a moon of Pluto. 

There are Star Wars references, like Skywalker Crater, (Leia) Organa Crater, and the fun-to-say Vader Crater.

And there are Star Trek references, like the Uhura Crater, Kirk Crater, Sulu Crater and Spock Crater in Vulcan Planum. 

There's also Kubrick Mons (a hat tip to 2001: A Space Odyssey, among other works). 

These monikers have not yet been approved by the International Astronomical Union (IAU), but who would object?!
Image showing the provisional names being used by the New Horizons team for features on Pluto’s largest moon, Charon.  Credit: NASA/Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory/Southwest Research Institute

MUSICAL HISTORY: Our history lesson today was a musical stroll down memory lane of one Sir Paul McCartney. McCartney's spin on James Corden's Carpool Karaoke is spectacular.

Not gonna lie, I teared up at least three times in the twenty minutes. Such a bright spot when such dark news is dominating the headlines right now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjvzCTqkBDQ

No comments:

Post a Comment