Thursday, July 5, 2018

The Fifth of July


THE MORNING AFTER: The morning of Independence Day, Mt. Rainier (Tahoma) put on a show in blue and white (but no red). It was gorgeous.

We had a busy Fourth of July. Most of the day involved siding and drywall projects on the house. We did manage to have some fun though, especially up on our rooftop about 10 p.m. 

CJ will tell you a bit more about it.
At and after 10:00 P.M,  on 4 July 2018, I went outside my house and used a ladder to climb up on top of my roof, carrying one of my dogs. Sitting on top of my roof, I could see dozens of different fireworks shows: Some held in private events, like sport games, some held in events operated by city governments, and others launched by people lighting fireworks in their backyards. It was peaceful, yet energetic to witness the fireworks from all around us, almost like a panorama. Meanwhile, the dogs were reacting negatively to the fireworks, as is usual for most canines.
Previously, I had found a guide on Q13 FOX about where to see fireworks in various locations in western Washington state. My mother wanted to know the times that the Renton and the Tukwila shows started (they both started at 10 P.M.) Chances are, we saw both the Renton and Tukwila shows during our firework-watching session on our rooftop, alongside multiple other city firework shows.
I am not sure CJ's use of the word "peaceful" to describe the scene is all that accurate. I used "Gettysburg" as an analogy when describing the smoke filled valley, the volleys of bombs exploding all around us.

It was pretty, though, I have to admit. My photos are all terrible, including this one. 
After about a half hour of rocket watching, we went inside and I blasted the "Hamilton" soundtrack to try and overcome the noise from the explosions. 

MEANWHILE, IN SPACE: The International Space Station had its own patriotic display this year.
Image Credit: NASA
Per their press release, "The Advanced Plant Habitat on the International Space Station celebrates the Fourth of July with its LED lights, displaying an American flag pattern. Roughly the size of a mini-fridge, the habitat is designed to test which growth conditions plants prefer in space and provides specimens a larger root and shoot area. This space in turn will allow a wider variety of crops to grow aboard the station."
The space-age mini farm has 180 sensors, which monitor things like water usage, carbon dioxide levels, light levels, temperature, humidity and oxygen in the growth chamber, as well as temperature, humidity and oxygen levels in the plant root systems.
Sorry I'm a day late in sharing, but NASA also wished us all a Happy Fourth of July. ...
https://youtu.be/qY5b4QXLSJk

No comments:

Post a Comment