Thursday, July 16, 2020

Working It

HOW IT GROWS: It's been a minute since we've updated the growings on in the MPA garden.

We have our first tomato with color - a chocolate cherry tomato. It is a superstar, given that there's almost NOTHING else going on with our tomato plants. They're leafy, and a few blossoms, but I don't think a whole lot of fruit is in our future.

There are a couple of bright spots, however. Our kohlrabi seems to be doing really well. 
Sure, something's eating its leaves, but the bulbs or whatever they're called seem to be growing well.

Have I mentioned we have NO idea what to do with it? I've never touched a kohlrabi until I impulse bought this as a much smaller specimen. 

We have some 'summer squash' that is blossoming. I hope we're overrun with zucchini, but I'm doubtful.
We have some pretty basil that's flowering. I just need to remember to use it when I'm cooking!
I'm not sure that we've ever successfully grown a pumpkin. We have a blossom this year, but I'm not super optimistic about it. 
And perhaps our biggest under achiever (oxymoron, anyone?) is our eggplant. Look at the puny, pathetic little things (foreground). They're no bigger than they were in May, in their little seedling start pots. 


COMET CHASERS: Yesterday afternoon, the kids watched a program all about NEOWISE, a comet that was recently discovered. It has been putting on a show in the Northern Hemisphere, including over Seattle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFn4-kQPjzk#action=share

Upon learning that this comet only comes around about once every 7000 or years, spotting it immediately went to the top of our to do list. 

In hopes of seeing it, we needed a pretty much floor-to-ceiling window of ground level to Big Dipper. 

The kids and I wove in and out of streets on the west side of our hill for  a half hour plus right after sundown.

Finally, at about 10:30, just as we were about to give up, Annabelle's young eyes spotted the comet, below and to the right of the bottom of the Big Dipper's ladle. Oh, happy day!

We have no photos to prove it - just our memories. :)

2 comments:

  1. Gah, kohlrabi is my mortal enemy! CSAs love to foist it on you. You have to peel it aggressively, and then it roasts up nicely or is tasty raw as a crunchy hummus dipper or salad mix-in.

    ReplyDelete