Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Baking It

 

CAKE DAY: Pretty much from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., we three worked on the beginnings of a cake project for Birthday Dreams. The cake is for a 17-year-old who loves movies. She wanted a vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream. Kinda boring as cakes go, but we give the people what they want.

We decided to make a cake in the shape of a big tub of popcorn like you get at the movie theater (remember those?).  For that, we had to double the recipe and make six cake layers.

CJ cut parchment circles for the bottoms of the pans.
He also helped sift the powdered sugar for the marshmallow fondant.
We did get the cake all baked, stacked and filled, crumb coated and covered in fondant yesterday. Today, while I work, the kids will have to stripe it and put the birthday girl's name on it. Oh, and top it with popcorn, of course!

ALL TOGETHER NOW: The kids have been working a puzzle the last couple of days, and finished it yesterday afternoon. 
While they were puzzling with that, I was mulling over our kitchen floor. I have been looking for flooring for months/years now and really didn't find anything I loved for that space. It's definitely going to have a retro look - we just got a 'new' (to us) white fridge, and we have an Imperial Flair stove we're going to install. 

I kept looking at new stuff, by my mind always wandered back to the vintage VCT (vinyl composite tiles). I ordered samples last week, and they showed up a few days ago. I really do like these colors, and I did some research online about potential patterns.
Last night, I finally ordered the tile, so stay tuned - this ugly floor is gonna be going away within a month, I'd say. 

No comments:

Post a Comment