Friday, January 8, 2010

The King is Dead. Long Live the King!

COMPOSE YOURSELF: This morning we were at the kitchen table by 9, rarin' to go. The kids were both working on money values/addition and some clock reading worksheets. I went to my computer to fire up some music. Hmm ... music? Oh ... MUSIC!!?!?!?!?

It was 9:17 and the kids were supposed to be at music at 9:15. Fortunately, the music lesson is just a block away, but they were still in jammies and shoeless. I sounded the alarm and hit the panic button. As it turns out, apparently that is NOT the fastest or most efficient way to get them out the door. I was combing Bee's hair and getting her clothes, yelling at CJ to get his shoes. Just a moment later, I find CJ wantering around the smooshy yard in his SOCKS looking for his shoes. Why? I will never know. Me = not happy.

Somehow, the kids dressed (including a change of socks for CJ) and we were to music (we ran there, of course) by about 9:23.5.

In my defense, the reason I spaced it is two-fold: 1) We haven't had music for two weeks (holiday break) and 2) Christian was home today (he has a class Monday, so instead of taking Monday off per usual, he had today off).

One good thing about Christian having today off is that he was able to go to the last 10 minutes/parent participation part of the class of Musikgarten for the first time. By his report, today the kids each composed a four "measure" song during class and then they performed it on drums during the parent part.
At home, Annabelle showed me her composition. Upon seeing this symbol ♫ I asked, "Are those called eighth notes?"

"No. I think they're called do-days," she corrected. That is, in fact, what they call them in class. I think the idea is to introduce the concept and duration before the official terminology

THAT'S ALRIGHT MAMA: Once the kids were back from music, it was back to the table to finish what they'd started. While they worked, in honor of Elvis Presley's birthday, I started playing Elvis tunes (and kept it up throughout the balance of the day).

We started with An American Trilogy (from Hawaii, '72, maybe my favorite performance of any of his songs, ever). Then I played more upbeat, kid friendly tunes (Teddy Bear, That's Alright Mama, Hound Dog, Jailhouse Rock). And then indulged myself some more (Memories, How Great Thou Art, You Gave Me a Mountain). And then I had to go and find Unchained Melody . Filmed just six weeks before he died, it was just Elvis, a microphone and a piano. Rapture and torture. :/

At one point during the Elvis jam CJ asked, "You still have a birthday after you died, right?" I said a person's birthday will always be their birthday, even when they're not on Earth to celebrate it.

Soon after, Annabelle called out, "Happy birthday, Elvis way up there in the stars from way down here."

This afternoon, during free play time, I let them use the Elvis dolls that usually stand guard over our kitchen. "My own little Elvis!" Bee exclaimed with a smile, fingering his black pleather jacket. For awhile they played "Elvises in Space." Later, a dolly in a pink gown joined them and it became "Elvis and the Princess."

DOUBLE TAKE: Pizza was on the menu for dinner tonight. I gave CJ two pieces (cheese and black olives only). He quickly polished those off and asked for "double more." I said he could have another piece and he countered, "No, I had two and I want double that. Two more."

I couldn't argue. His math was sound. (So I cut one more good sized piece in half and gave him the requested two more pieces.)

KING CONTINUED: It has been more than a week since we did the family movie thing. Since there are no bowl games tonight, seemed like this evening would be a good time to get a picture show in. In keeping with today's "King" theme, "The Lion King" seemed a good choice. I haven't watched it since Rick and Ken were kiddos. It's a great story (family, loyalty, perseverance, betrayal, revenge, friendship) and has a fantastic soundtrack. During the climactic battle scene when Simba had returned to claim the throne from his evil Uncle Scar, CJ was doing the pogo in front of the TV.

At the end, when "The Circle of Life" was playing, Annabelle said softly. "Oh my. That was a good movie. That was a good movie."

Christian and I have seen the touring Broadway musical version - I'd love to be able to take CeeJ and Bee to see a similar production of it some day. Maybe even in New York? ...

I LEAVE YOU WITH THIS: Because it just doesn't get any better than this ...

2 comments:

  1. My favorite. (I still remember watching it the first time) - except for Am Triology - except for "I'll Remember You" - except for ... It's like choosing among your children or grandchildren, impossible. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, I don't remember watching the '68 special at age 3. (Hey wait - did you put me to bed early that night? Did you!?!)

    But I will never forget watching "Aloha from Hawaii" live. That's burned into my brain forever.

    ReplyDelete