Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Muzzy Wasn't Wuz He?

MORNING MOCHA: Very first thing this morning we watched a Discovery Channel video about how specialty (molded solid and hollow) chocolate is made. In the example they used, it was a highly automated process, involving few people but lot and lots of conveyor belts and other machines. I think the video will be a good contrast for when we finally make it over to Theo Chocolate, where it's more hands on, I do believe. ...

After the instructional video, I showed the kids the classic Lucy and Ethel clip where they're working the line in a chocolate factory. They LOL-ed, of course. Still funny, funny stuff 58(!) years later!

WRITE ON: For this morning's writing, each of the kids had to write a few sentences about the special class they attend (Bee = ballet, CJ = Tae Kwon Do). They were to include the type of class it is, their teacher's name and something they've learned. To help get things rolling, we generated a list of words they might use, including "teacher's," which gave us a chance to talk about possessives.

MOSTLY MOZART: For morning music, we played Mozart. On our playlist were Minuet in G, Minuet from Don Juan, The Marriage of Figaro (a familiar favorite to the kids, along with this Eine Kleine Nachtmusik), and we were ready to charge into battle after hearing Mozart's Requiem. We had no idea what the hell they were singing about during Requiem (in Italian?), so we made up some of our own lyrics (hey, the Little Einsteins do it, why can't we?) and it turned into an epic about a man whose donuts were stolen. We also listened to the compelling Piano Concerto No. 21 - Andante and even a Mozart minuet done by The Ventures. Weird (and I don't mean bad - it was just, well, different. "I like that music," said Annabelle. Apparently The Ventures recorded a whole album of classical music in 1972, called "Joy.")

SE HABLA ENGLISH?: It's been sitting on a shelf for four weeks now, mocking me: Muzzy, the confusing bear-like alien who is supposed to be the master of teaching children a non-native language. So I finally busted out the DVDs. Dammit, TODAY would be the day my kids learn Spanish!

So I pop the DVD in and we're at the root menu and it's all in English. Makes sense. In fact, one might expect that since we're trying to learn Spanish (and are presumably starting as native English speakers). Yeah, well, the whole DVD, subtitles and all, are in English. Nuttin' but English. We'd been duped! (How do you say that in Spanish, I wonder ...)

Interestingly, the kids insisted on watching it anyway. I guess that's good - they found the video and (for whatever reason) stilted dialogue engaging.

One genuine upside was that the kit did come with a PC game, on which we were able to opt to receive instructions in English but go on and adventure in Spanish. So the kids played (and learned) with that for a good hour.

THERE IS ANOTHER: This morning, when pondering MPA's schedule for the day, for a fleeting moment I had the thought: "Hey, I think it's a Seattle Homeschool Group park day." I looked around for the latest newsletter, as I knew it would have the location listed, but after about 60 seconds of half-hearted searching, I gave up. (We'll go one day. Really we will.) Meanwhile, via an email today, I learned about the existence of another group for families going it alone: Washington Teacher Parent Association. It might sound silly, but I like its name; to me, it sounds like a bit of a play on the stalwart Parent Teacher Associations so present in real schools! So, that's yet another resource to check out. Some day.

DRAMATIC ARTS: This afternoon, CJ set up a stage on the new copper topped island and used Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle figurines as his cast of characters. He requested an audience (namely me) and had a stool ready for me. Annabelle was "backstage," he explained. Her job was being the sun. She played her part well. : )YOGA BEARS: After a two week hiatus we were back at Lotus Yoga this afternoon. This kids were both happy to see their friend Iris there and seemed to get right back into the OM mindset once class started.

SEEING PINK ELEPHANTS: In other news, I got an email today that Laureate Education, Inc. wants to use a photo of mine in an online tutorial for a Masters of Science in Instructional Design and Technology course. If memory serves, I took this shot when we went on that fun "Ride the Ducks" tour of Seattle with Nonnie and Bops last November. I granted permission, of course - happy to support an educational cause!

1 comment:

  1. Love the classical music backgrounds. And the way they're learning the pieces and composers is great.

    ReplyDelete