Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Play Time

OH, THE DRAMA: This evening Annabelle announced to us she had a play to present upstairs. Naturally, we all trudged up there.

It was pretty funny, when we walked in the room she immediately ordered us to stop - telling us we were too close. I guess she needed a big performance area. And then she immediately recruited CJ, telling him, "You know this!" :)

And so we were treated to a 3-minute live action version of "I Can't Defeat Airman."

SUNK: A couple of nights ago I bought the kids a Battleship game on clearance at Target. I LOVED Battleship as a kid and they've played an online version, but we've not owned the game ourselves. Until now ...
I was especially happy to find a version that incorporated "build your own" and LEGO features. That had to be even better, right?

Yeah, well, notsomuch. It's really rather lame. For starters, the rules are different (and should be ignored in favor of the original games' rules). Second, and worse-ly (what's the right word here?), the little ships don't anchor into the playfield. They sit on a piece of cardboard atop the game board. So anytime any kid touches anything on the board, the ships move all over the board. Which doesn't work very well with that whole A-3, C-5, you sunk my battleship type stuff.

Wish I'd seen and bought an old school set. :( Look for this item at a Goodwill near you soon.

CAPITAL IDEA: CJ had heavy thoughts on his mind this morning. Not sure what got him to thinking about it, but just after breakfast he announced he had a plan "for extra super bad villains." Do tell, I encouraged. "They go into death traps instead of prison," he proposed.

"Oh," I said. "I just hope you make really Really REALLY sure they're guilty before they fall into death traps."

SUGAR SHACK: Rick's last day of teaching summer school is tomorrow and I volunteered MPA to make some treats for his kiddos. I decided on Rice Krispie Treat lollipops.

Annabelle was more than happy to help. She was chairman of the sugar polka dots.NO DOZE: CJ, a.k.a. the boy who barely sleeps, has been peppering us with questions about how long a person can go without sleep before they'd DIE. Is it days? Weeks? Months?

We've speculated, but we don't have a solid answer for him. And that bothers CJ. He wants answers, dammit!

Turning to Wikipedia, we learned that the longest (scientifically documented) period of time a human being has intentionally gone without sleep without using stimulants of any kind is 264 hours (11 days)

I told him. "I'll shatter that record to pieces! I'll shatter it to fractions of quarks!" CJ vowed.

Spoken like a true nerd. :)

DRAGGING IT OUT: Annabelle was dragging along slowly while getting ready for bed tonight. I called out to her in her bedroom, trying to prod her along. "I'm just hanging my cape up," she called back in a sing-songy voice.

Oh, that's right. Can't rush a superhero. :)

1 comment:

  1. PBS had a show many years ago about sleep. They had many examples of persons who slept less than 2 hours/day for years and years.

    ReplyDelete