Friday, March 9, 2012

Freaky Friday

LESS TALK, MORE MONKEY: Today we took a long overdue field trip to Archie McPhee, easily one of the best stores on the planet. Seriously.

The fun starts in the parking lot, with all the wacky posters and a marquee that reads, "LESS TALK, MORE MONKEY" in huge capital letters. I rather like the message on the sign behind the kids in the photo above. I think being marvelously strange, alive and curious is a good way to live. :)

Within seconds, we stumbled upon a horrific clown mask. CJ enjoyed freaking me out with it.
We bought all sorts of 'must have' items, ranging from fingertip narwhal puppets to cupcake flavored dental floss. We also saw, for the first time, the incredible Wallingford Beast on display in the store.
Of course, it reminded me very much of Jake the Alligator Man, on display at Marsh's Free Museum in Long Beach, Washington. Perhaps they're distant cousins. I'm glad that now CJ and Annabelle will have some freaky, ridiculous shrunken something in their childhoods, as Jake was such a memorable part of my early years.

SCHOOL STUFF: We did math today - pages in their Singapore math books, and I drilled them on multiplication problems when we were driving in the car. They also did more reading, or should I say more "Seussing"? They're still hitting the Seuss hard. Today's titles included "I Think I Saw it on Mulberry Street," "Sneetches" and "The Tooth Book." Mulberry Street was Seuss' first book, so CJ, who definitely has a historian bent, has been eager to get his hands on it.

PIGS IN SPACE: A couple of days ago, NASA announced more details about their involvement in the new "Angry Birds: Space" game ( http://angrybirds.com/space ). The roll out marked the first time a new video game had been announced from space and it included game play footage from space! The announcement was made by astronaut Don Pettit from the ISS. And NASA being NASA, it included a great physics lesson.



No comments:

Post a Comment