Friday, August 23, 2013

We Oughta be in Pictures

 
FAMILY PORTRAITS:  The last couple of days Annabelle has started drawing cartoon-ish humans (instead of say ponies and penguins she so loves to draw).

Here are some pictures she came up with today, in addition to a couple of self portraits above. ...

Here's one of CJ and me ...
And one of Christian ...
He was (obviously) sporting his Seahawks jersey for tonight's preseason game. Go Hawks!

ROOT, ROOT, ROOT FOR THE HOME TEAM:  At noon, our attention turned to the Little League World Series play.  The team from Sammamish (where we recreated last weekend) was playing for a shot in the finals.

My oh my, what a game it was.  Back and forth, up and down, Washington vs. a team from Connecticut.  In extra innings, Connecticut ended up coming up with one run more.  CJ was beside himself for about 60 seconds, but he quickly shifted his focus elsewhere.

We learned things watching the game, of course.  One crazy play had a Connecticut runner traveling from second to third base running into the shortstop.  The Sammamish shortstop was focused on the play at the plate, and threw the kid out there, however, it wasn't (unfortunately) an out at home, as when the runner ran into the defensive player, that was interference, resulting in that runner being out and a dead ball (no more action on the field). So, the Connecticut runner got to go back to third base and he wound up being the winning run.

Naturally, I started thinking about scenarios when a team might use interference to their advantage. ...

TOILING:  I spent most of my day covered in powdered sugar, working on Jursassic Park-themed cookies and cake for Kennedy's birthday.  Today seemed like lots of "middle" work, with little finishing.  Annabelle reminded me I need to be done by tomorrow, Ken's birthday.

I'm on it Annabelle, and done I shall be!

JOLLY OLDE ENGLAND:  This afternoon, I pointed the kids in the direction of a Web site with a ton of information about early British kingdoms (http://www.earlybritishkingdoms.com/arthur/index.html).  I told them they could read about whatever they wanted, and they each spent about a half hour poking around.  They each wound up on articles about Stonehenge, and Annabelle related a fable about Merlin supposedly building it.  The story stopped there.  I directed them to use other resources to find out exactly how Stonehenge was, in fact, built.

No comments:

Post a Comment