Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Movies and More

JIFFY POOP: Out of nowhere this morning, CJ said he wanted popcorn. An odd request for 9:30 a.m., but oh well, why not. So I made a bag of microwave popcorn. And kinda sorta burned it. :/

So I went down to the basement to fetch another package of it for do-overs. While down there, I found an old Jiffy Pop container I'd bought for the kids for a camping trip a year (or two?) ago. "Oooh, wouldn't this be more fun than microwave popcorn?!" I thought. And so, with great fanfare, I presented it to the kids and told them how cool it is and how their Aunt Renee and I used to have it when we were kids and how much fun it would be popping it.

We read and followed the directions and ... what we wound up with was a stinking, smoldering plasticy pan full of nasty. It wasn't jiffy and it barely poppped. Major Bummer. So back to the basement I went for another bag of microwave popcorn. At least I didn't burn it this time.

BREAKING NEWS FROM SAFECO FIELD: I forgot to post this tidbit from the other night. While we were wandering the concourse (practically by ourselves attendance was so sparse), we noticed a photo-booth looking thingee out in center field. It had something about ROOT SPORTS on it (the network which broadcasts the games) and something about being a broadcaster.

Turns out it had software and hardware that would allow you to record a message as if you were holding a press conference. To see what CJ and Annabelle came up with, check out this link: http://www.mlb.com/sea/fan_forum/video_interview.jsp?view_key=93814578249(When you watch it, you'll see that the booth was designed for significantly taller people.)

PAPERWORK: This afternoon we had to head north to Shoreline to check in at the school whee the kids will be taking three classes a week come mid-September. We went early so they could play on the playground while we were there.
Once it was time for our meeting, there was lots of paperwork to do and I had to meet with a coordinator. That took about a half hour. While I was in the meeting, the kids sat in an adjacent room for 35 minutes and read silently, which I really appreciated. I told them I was very proud of them for behaving so well. :)

LAST DANCE: Annabelle had her very last (sniffle, sniffle) afternoon with her first and only ballet teacher today. It was a 90-minute dance camp, with an "Under the Sea" theme.

So for the first time in 3 years, I think, Annabelle is a ballerina without a place to dance. We're going to have to do something about that.

READY FOR HER CLOSEUP: Last night after the kids were in bed, Christian and I were watching "Flipping Out" on the Bravo channel and were floored by a commercial for "Dolphin Tale" - a full length feature movie about Winter the tail-less dolphin! Winter is one of the reasons we went to Florida last year (along with that little Space Shuttle launch deal).

Winter is going BIG TIME! The movie stars Morgan Freeman, Ashley Judd, Harry Conick Jr., and Kris Kristofferson, among others. It's coming soon to a theater near you in 3D. Here's a link to the trailer: http://www.movies.com/movie-trailers/dolphintale/2019268495
MOVIE MAKERS:
Today the kids got some exposure to and experience with Windows Movie Maker. They're both interested in posting videos to YouTube, and while it's certainly not Ken Burns worthy, WMM is pretty user friendly and good for a beginner.

I wanted to put together a video for a Facebook group of space program/shuttle enthusiasts we belong to using photos members of the group have taken, along with some NASA photos to help capture the end of the space shuttle program. For a soundtrack, I chose a great song by a Seattle band, The Heart and The Hand.
I'm not putting the video link on the blog because it uses photos from other people whose permissions I don't have to post their photos publicly, but I can easily and guilt free share the song with you. Called "Lost in my Mind," to me it's all about losing something and feeling lost but knowing you have to rebuild and go on because there are stars in the sky propelling you onward. It seemed like the perfect soundtrack for our project. :) Here's the band peforming it live, in studio @ Seattle's KEXP.

1 comment:

  1. I like that song.

    You know a ballet teacher in Vancouver WA. Ask her for a referral, maybe?

    3 days a week to Shoeline? Maybe you should get a Hybrid or electric car.

    ReplyDelete