Friday, September 2, 2011

Invasion of the Frosted Flakes

MYSTERY BOX: A few days ago while shopping at my favorite grocery store - Grocery Outlet - I spied this box. How could I NOT buy it? A rocket, an astronaut and alien looking writing?Yes, please!

The kids were enthralled by the box. I decided to turn that into a writing exercise for them. I asked them to write about how the box came to be on the shelf at Grocery Outlet in Ballard.

Annabelle kept trying to turn it into an art assignment, drawing her story, as you can see here.
And in case you can't read it, hers says, "One day, CJ and mom went shopping at Grocery Outlet, and found this (arrow). Here's a close-up (another arrow). I think an alien snuck in and put the cereal there. And that's my theory. The end!" (In case you're wondering her last picture shows the night watchman sleeping on the job, hence the alien being able to do its deed.)

CJ's story was very nicely written. Check out this penmanship!
It reads, "The mystery of the alien cereal" By CJ Kisky

There were some delivery aliens. A box of cereal fell out of the delivery ship. But the delivery aliens didn't notice it. The cereal fell into Grocery Outlet. The cereal landed on a random shelf. The end

Oh, in case you were wondering, this is the backside of the box. And the fine print says it's made in the USA but it's made for Dubai, which would explain the foreign-to-us writing, eh?'SHOPPING: Annabelle enjoys Pokemon and she struck upon the idea of making a hybrid of two characters, Pikachu and Eevee. To do so, she first had to find a suitable image of each of the characters. Here's the Pikachu she found on the 'net:
And here's Eevee, another Pokemon character:

And here is the hybrid she created: It took her about four hours. She worked really hard and was very proud of the outcome.

GOOD QUESTION: Today CJ asked me, "Is Barney a friendly dinosaur or the embodiment of evil?" Y'all know how I answered THAT one.

PLAY LIST: We've been on a steady diet of Hall & Oates here 'round MPA for the last few days. I'm trying to give the kids a crash course in the duo's music since on Monday we'll be attending Bumbershoot, and H&O are the headliners.

I think they've pretty much got the duo's greatest hits committed to memory at this point. I think without a doubt, "You Make My Dreams Come True" is their favorite. This morning they felt compelled to shake their groove things to the tune.


THESE WALLS HAVE EYES: We have a mystery shop assignment tonight, which means we get to have dinner for free. Whoopee!

No comments:

Post a Comment