Monday, November 26, 2012

One Year Ago Today


HISTORY IN THE MAKING: One year ago today, atop an Atlas V, an Earth-built rover began rocketing its way toward the Red Planet.

As we all now know, it successfully made a 352,000,000 mile or so flight, stuck the landing like an Olympic gold medalist, and Mars Science Laboratory has been roving around Mars working like a champ ever since.

Here's a retrospective, in photos, of my visit to the Space Coast to see the launch. 

MAKING A LIST:  It's not even December yet, but there has been much talk of Christmas lists already 'round here. 

Last night at dinner we were talking about realistic Christmas wishes and what is a reasonable request and what isn't. I said I thought "The Worst Christmas List Ever" would make a good story starter, so today, I had the kids do some writing on the topic. 

Annabelle came up with this. 
My Christmas list by (insert name of girl here)DollsDollsDollsDollsMore dollsA doll limo for the dollsA pony that looks like Pinkie PieA unicorn that looks like Twilight Sparklepegasus that looks like DashieA pegasus that looks like FluttershyA  unicorn that looks like RarityA pony that looks like A.J.A huge barn for my poniesA life size replica of PonyvilleThe ability to make the Pinkie Pie pony really bake stuffSaddles for the poniesRainbow Dash making a Rainboom!Thanks Santa, -(insert same name here)
I don't think Annabelle will be getting any dolls this year. 

And now, with out further ado, is CJ's. ... 
The Worst Christmas list EVER: A Story by CJ Moki:
One day for Christmas, A boy named Tyler wanted to get his Christmas list ready. So, he asked his mom if he could write his Christmas list now. Tyler’s mom said that he could, but he should be cautious about what he should put on his Christmas list, as he may regret what he puts on his Christmas list AFTER Christmas happens, so Tyler’s mother told him that he should put what he REALLY wants on his Christmas list. After hearing that, he made this Christmas list:
 I WANT A REAL RAINBOW, A FART, SOME CAMEL POO, SOME FUNNY FACES, A INSIDE-OUT GUITAR, EVERY SEA ON EARTH, EVERY SINGLE DIAMOND, A PONY, A DROP OF WATER FROM HURRICANE KATRINA, AND YOU AND YOUR ELVES.
 On Christmas day, Guess what Tyler found in his stocking? A note. It said this:
 Dear Tyler, I am sorry that I can not get you all the things that you wanted, and that is because your requests are hard to do. Sorry, Tyler.  –Santa Claus.
 After this, Tyler ran screaming out of the living room. THE END.
That made me laugh and laugh. 


THE RIGHT STUFF?: We continue to work our way through the great worksheets to go along with "D is for Democracy." Today, the kids did a page titled "There Ought to Be a Law" about how a bill becomes a law in Congress.

The second sheet they competed was titled "Could I Be President?" It reviewed the qualifications, and asked the kids to "make a list of the characteristics that you think a good leader should have." 

Here's what Annabelle wrote: "They should trust congress, believe the government and be a good leader." 

I'm not sure I agree with her, but she's entitled to her opinion. ;)

In answer to that same question, CJ wrote, "A good leader should not be milk toast. He/she should give good speeches. And he/she should make sure that the country is safe."

I must say, I love that he included "she" in his answer. Oh, and I love the "milk toast." LMAO. 

The last question on the sheet was, "Do you think you will someday have all of the qualities of leadership and the requirements necessary to be president? Write a short paragraph explaining your answer.

CJ wrote: "Yes. I was born in Oregon. I also think that I will live to 35. And I am sure that I will stay in America for awhile. I think that I would write my speeches well." 

Interesting, CJ. Not sure the points are strong enough to campaign on, however. 

Annabelle answered: "Yes, because I was born and lived in America, and am still living in America at the age of eight, and I will grow to 35 soon." 

I think their answers were too centered on qualifications, not characteristics or "qualities of leadership."  So, we're going to have to revisit that.

BY DEFINITION: I'm sure I've mentioned on these 'pages' that one of our favorite Seattle spots is   a convenience store turned tap room, Chucks on 85th. Next to the delicious and exotic beers they have on tap, our favorite thing about the place is their collection of board games. There, we discovered our Favorite Game Ever, Dixit. We also play "Ticket to Ride," a fun train and geography game, and the wacky always-changing game Fluxx. But sometimes we make up our own games. Case in point - we use the Bananagrams tiles (which are identical to Scrabble tiles) to make up our own words, and then players vote on which definition they like best (kinda like Balderdash).

Here's a recent board. .,.
All of the words are interesting, but CJ's MUGREEX had us in hysterics. He gave a definition of "That rare occasion where you do an armpit fart and a real fart at the same time." 

1 comment: