Friday, November 1, 2013

Automatic

                
CAR TALK: Job 1 today was getting the lil Fit serviced. It was due for its first ever oil change.  The maintenance light came on on our way down to California.

We had to head all the way up to Everett for our service, as that's where we bought the car, so our service is 'free' up there. It's a nice facility, and they do the work right inside, where you can watch. The kids learned about tire rotation, among other things. We played a few games in the waiting room, and when the Fit was ready, we were given a coupon for a free car wash up the street. The Fit was filthy, so we were happy to take them up on the offer.

The kids were kind of ridiculously excited about the car wash. ;)
 "It's like a water park, but you don't get wet!" CJ said excitedly, when the brushes started shaking our tiny car to and fro.
When we got home, we spent some time trying to get the home restored to pre-costume fabrication condition, and then took the dogs for a walk to the park at the top of the hill. I was walking the dogs around when I heard a woman quizzing CJ and Annabelle about why they weren't in school.

Not that it was any of the woman's business, but Annabelle explained that they go to school once a week, and the rest of the time they learn outside of school.

"Oh, you're home-schooled. I'll bet you're smart," the woman said.

"Why do you think that?" CJ asked.

"Because I think people can learn more when there's just one teacher and two students, than one teacher and 30 students," she responded.

CJ mulled that over and a minute or so before adding, "I think it's also better because I can focus."

Interesting, and not surprising. CJ has always had great disdain for the controlled (and sometimes uncontrolled) classroom chaos.

COOL CARVINGS: In news that should surprise almost no one, when Jet Propulsion Laboratory hosts a pumpkin carving contest, the results are super cool. ...



3 comments:

  1. Hi There Magnolia Prep;
    I've been following your blog for a couple of months now. Also really like your education resource links! My son and I are neo-homeschoolers living in Modena Italy. This would be his first year of elementary... we are struggling to find a rythym but optimistic we are gonna make it on this road! I read on the post about the woman who quizzed the CJ and Annabelle. You mention they go to school one day a week... When you have time... Can you tell me more about that? I don't think it is an option for us here but I am curious to know more how it works where you are... As of yet our blog is not up and running but you can find us on Google+ if you'd like to see some pics realated to our family and activities. Have a great day! Victoria Glaser

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Victoria - nice of you to write. I love the term "neo-homeschoolers." I've never heard it before! Thank you for introducing me to the term!
      I think I'll address your question in my 11/4 blog post, because it's a good question and I'll bet other readers are wondering how homeschooling works in different places.
      I started this blog right about when CJ was your son's age, and we decided to go down a non-traditional path, but I felt like I needed to track/justify what we were doing - at least to myself. And so the blog because a piece of mind for me, and a picture post card for the grandparents. ;)

      Delete
  2. I vote for the Death Star Jack-o-lantern! Had a funny discussion with Chuck Conley years and years ago about class sizes. Too long for a comment here. But the lady in the park was right on.

    ReplyDelete